The main subject of the migration was Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI) software, allowing for reporting and analysis of the processes occurring in the enterprise. The other elements of the migration were: – Oracle database.
– Oracle Application Express.
– ETL data acquisition and integration tool (moving from Oracle Warehouse Builder to Oracle Data Integrator).
– Aligning power processes with different licensing rules for ETL tools.
For this purpose, a dedicated data dump mechanism was created in the main source system.
Efficiency – a priority aspect of migration
It was achieved by:
– An in-depth analysis of all possible points affecting the performance of the solution under construction, such as data warehouse, data integration processes, analyses and reports.
– Defining indicators to measure the achievement of the goal – indicators took into account criteria such as: SLA, commonly accepted standards (e. g. allowable report execution time), the business importance of a given optimization point, and more.
– Create a performance log of the base system and automate performance monitoring of the new system.
– Monitoring, which was crucial as it protected against performance regression.
In order to speed up the implementation, it was assumed that the production environment would act as a development and test environment until implementation.
– Once acceptance testing is complete, smooth target migration on a proven and stable installation.
– A smooth switchover of the client’s business to the new platform.
– Minimize the risk of production deployment failure.
– Accelerate post-deployment testing.
– A shorter period of stabilization and no unexpected problems during this period.
– Reducing the licenses needed during the transition period and the resulting optimization of implementation costs.
Audit at every stage of production implementation – good practices
– A methodical approach to implementation execution was adopted. The adopted methodology made it possible to monitor progress at each stage of the migration, to react proactively to delays which occurred and to manage the team effectively.
– Implementation supported by a migration framework and detailed lists of steps to be taken within each component of the technology stack.
– Precise orchestration of all tasks performed.
– Completion of the migration within the set timeframe.